You’ll love these easy strawberry brownies made with strawberry cake mix! They have the perfect fudgy texture and lots of strawberry flavor. Top them with a delicious cream cheese and jam frosting, and sprinkle them with some pretty sprinkles to make a truly epic dessert!
These strawberry brownies are chewy, ooey gooey, beautiful, and absolutely amazing!!
I added a little bit of pink food coloring to the icing to make it a beautiful color that matched the strawberry look. You could add a teal food dye to the frosting though and give them a whole different vibe.
I love that you can use cake mixes to make brownies, it just opens up a whole new world of fun because they’re so easy to make.
It’s seriously so much easier using strawberry cake mix than it is using fresh strawberries or freeze dried strawberries to make these treats from scratch – and you still get the tasty homemade flavor.
These pink brownies would be perfect for birthday parties, bake sales, baby showers, bridal showers, or just to make at home for fun and enjoy!
My friend’s daughter was coming over, so I made these the night before for a surprise and she gobbled them up! She said they loved them and wanted to me to make them again next time.
Cake Mix: I used a 15.25 ounce box of Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix, but any brand will work. Your brownies might be a different shade of pink if you use a different box mix though.
Oil: I used vegetable oil in this recipe, but you can easily swap that for canola oil with no noticeable taste or texture difference.
Milk: Using milk instead of water adds more flavor, and creates more tender brownies with a finer crumb.
Egg: Egg is the binder that we’re using to hold the brownies together. I know this recipe calls for fewer eggs than the box calls for, but you don’t want to use three eggs in this recipe. It will cause the brownies to rise too much, which will create brownies with more of a cakey texture than a fudgy texture.
Vanilla: Adding a little bit of pure vanilla extract makes such a difference in the flavor of these blonde brownies! It really elevates them to a whole new level. Since this is a baked dessert, you can use artificial extract if that’s all you have on hand, but I do think it tastes better with pure vanilla extract.
Cream Cheese: This is the base of the frosting. I love using cream cheese in frosting because it’s light, and the flavor of the cream cheese offsets the sugar so that it’s not too sweet.
Jam: Strawberry jam is the easiest way to add a little strawberry flavor to the glaze. Easy peasy!
Sugar: Powdered sugar is the sugar that you’ll want to use in this icing. It’s perfect for easy homemade frosting because it dissolves quickly and creates a smooth texture.
Sprinkles and Food Dye (Optional): These are both optional, but I really do think the blondies are so much cuter with a little pink food dye added to the frosting and then topped with some pretty sprinkles. It adds such a fun layer of decoration.
How To Make Strawberry Brownies
Start by mixing together strawberry cake mix, vegetable oil, milk, egg, and vanilla extract in a bowl. Mix until there are no dry spots, but make sure not to overmix. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Spread the batter into a parchment paper lined square baking pan, then bake the brownies in a preheated oven until they’re cooked through. Make sure not to overbake them, or they’ll have a dry texture more similar to cake than to fudgy brownies.
While the brownies are baking, use a hand or stand mixer to beat the cream cheese until it’s light and fluffy. Then mix in the strawberry jam.
Add the powdered sugar and mix again until it’s fully combined with the frosting.
If you’re adding food coloring, add a little to the frosting now and mix until it’s combined.
Once the brownies are finished baking, allow them to cool. Then spread the frosting over the brownies.
Sprinkle your favorite sprinkles over top of the brownies, then refrigerate them for a few minutes to allow the frosting to set. Slice the brownies and serve! See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
What Makes A Brownie Moist?
The moisture in brownies comes from the vegetable oil and the egg. Since vegetable oil is liquid at room temperature, it creates a really moist mouth feel in baked goods.
I wouldn’t recommend using melted butter in cake mix brownies, because butter creates brownies with a more cake-like texture (which is something you’re trying to avoid since cake mix already has more leaveners than brownie mix does).
What Makes A Brownie More Fudgy?
Fudgy brownies get that delicious texture by having a high fat to flour ratio. So, it’s important to not skimp on the oil in this recipe.
I also wouldn’t recommend replacing it with alternatives like applesauce or something else that’s lower in fat (unless you don’t mind a cakey texture).
Can Brownies Be Made From Cake Mix?
Yes! You can make brownies from cake mix, you’ll just need to adjust the added ingredients in order to get the right texture.
For this recipe, we’re replacing the water the box recipe calls for with a smaller amount of milk. Adding less moisture and using a liquid with a higher fat content will help get the right texture.
We’re also using fewer eggs than the cake would call for. Eggs act as a leaver, so we’re only going to use one for the binding power, but we’re skipping the other two so that the brownies don’t rise too much.
Optional Adaptations And Serving Ideas
There’s nothing like warm brownies a la mode, so try serving one of these with a scoop of vanilla or strawberry ice cream.
If you love the flavor of chocolate covered strawberries, you can skip the frosting and pour a layer of melted chocolate on top instead.
You could also make a Nutella frosting if you want something in between frosting and chocolate.
If you love chocolate chips in your brownies, try adding white chocolate chips to these.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out all of our dessert recipes! Some reader favorite berry desserts are:
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cups
- Bisquick Strawberry Shortcake
- Raspberry Crumble Bars
- Blueberry Lemon Bars
- 1 (15.25 ounce) box strawberry cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces cream cheese (room temperature, 1/4 brick)
- 2 Tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Sprinkles (optional, for garnish)
- Food coloring (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F (176 C). Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8x8 square baking dish. Line the baking dish with parchment paper, being sure to leave an overhang of parchment paper on two opposite sides (to create handles to help lift the brownies out after baking).
- To a large mixing bowl, add the cake mix, vegetable oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Mix together using a hand mixer until the batter is just mixed and there are no more dry spots.
- Spread the batter into the prepared dish and bake in the preheated oven for 17-18 minutes. Be careful not to overbake. If you overbake, you'll get dry brownies that will resemble more of a cake texture than a brownie texture. You’ll know it’s ready when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the brownies are baking, make the frosting. To a medium mixing bowl, add the cream cheese and beat using a hand mixer until the cream cheese is soft and fluffy (about 4-5 minutes). Add in the jam and beat until combined.
- Add in the powdered sugar and mix again until well combined. Add food coloring to the icing if you want a more vibrant icing, then mix to combine.
- Let the brownies cool completely before adding the frosting.
- Pour the frosting over the brownies and use the back of a spoon or an offset spatula to spread the frosting out evenly. Top the frosting with sprinkles, and refrigerate for 15 minutes to allow the frosting to stiffen.
- Cut into 16 squares, and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 7.2gCarbohydrates: 32.2gFiber: 0gSugar: 19.7gProtein: 1.4g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
These strawberry flavored brownies made out of cake mix are quick and taste absolutely amazing!