This easy homemade Crockpot Chicken and Noodles tastes just like my Grandma’s cooking, and it’s really my favorite kind of comfort food. You’ll love this family favorite creamy chicken and egg noodle casserole!
Crockpot Chicken And Noodles
I really feel like some of my favorite recipes come out of the slow cooker. I don’t know if it’s because everything is better when it cooks low and slow, or if it’s because I just have a soft spot for truly easy recipes that are really delicious.
This Crockpot Chicken and Noodles has definitely become a new favorite for us.
The creamy chicken was cooked to perfection after 2 hours. It was juicy and full of flavor from the parsley, poultry seasoning, and butter. It was literally just bathed in that perfect flavor.
The sauce was really easy to make and perfectly creamy, and I loved that I didn’t have to use any cream of soups to make it.
Don’t forget those tasty egg noodles – they were cooked to the perfect tenderness after 35 minutes.
Can You Put Noodles In A Slow Cooker?
Yes! You can cook raw pasta in a crock pot. Just make sure that you’re using a recipe that calls for uncooked noodles. Some recipes need you to boil the noodles first, but this recipe is designed to cook the noodles in the crockpot.
Can You Put Raw Chicken In A Slow Cooker?
Yes, raw chicken can be cooked in a slow cooker. Just like other cooking methods, it needs to be cooked until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 F on an instant read meat thermometer.
How Long Does It Take Noodles To Cook In A Crockpot On High?
It should take about 30 – 40 minutes for the noodles to cook on high in a slow cooker. In my crockpot, 35 minutes was the perfect amount of time.
There are two components to this recipes, the creamy sauce, and the chicken and noodles.
For the sauce, you’ll need:
Butter: This provides that fat component of the roux, which is how the sauce is thickened.
All-Purpose Flour: The flour mixes is the thickening component of the roux, which is what gives the sauce its body and texture.
Chicken Broth and Milk: These are the liquid components of the sauce. They provide the volume. Using chicken broth adds flavor, and using milk adds creaminess. You could also use Better Than Bouillon mixed with water in place of the chicken broth.
Garlic, Parsley, Pepper, Salt, Onion Powder, Poultry Seasoning, and Garlic Powder: These seasonings are where all the flavor comes from. Nothing beats a homemade spice blend when you make a sauce from scratch!
For the chicken and noodles, you’ll need:
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts: I prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe – they’re super easy to work with and they carry the flavor of the sauce really well. You could use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer. If you want to speed up the cook time, you could also use precooked shredded rotisserie chicken.
Salt and Pepper: Seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper to taste before it cooks allows you to control how salty the final dish is.
Butter: This adds a lot of flavor and creaminess to the final dish.
Chicken Broth: This is the liquid that the chicken and noodles cook in. The noodles will absorb the extra liquid during the final step of cooking.
Egg Noodles: This is the best pasta to use for the noodle base in this. If you don’t have egg noodles, there are some substitutions listed below.
How To Make Crockpot Chicken And Noodles
Start by sautéing the butter and garlic together, then whisk in the flour to make a roux. (See the recipe card below for the full printable instructions.)
Whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Continue stirring until it reaches a smooth consistency. Add in the spices.
Stir to combine, then bring to a simmer until it has thickened.
Grease a 6 quart slow cooker, then add in the filleted chicken breasts and add salt and pepper. Spread the creamy sauce over the chicken and top with butter.
Pour in chicken broth and cook until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the cooked chicken from the slow cooker, and add the egg noodles.
Shred the chicken, then return it to the Crockpot. Continue cooking until the noodles are cooked. See the recipe card below for the full written instructions, including ingredient amounts, cooking times, and helpful tips, etc.
What Type Of Noodles Should You Use?
I definitely prefer this dish with the classic egg noodle flavor (it’s also amazing with Reames frozen egg noodles – I love how thick they are).
If you can’t find any egg noodles, you can substitute them with either elbow macaroni or penne pasta. You could even use broken up spaghetti or ramen noodles if that’s all you have on hand.
Keep In Touch
I’d love to hear what you thought of this recipe in the comments or on Instagram! @KeyToMyLime #KeyToMyLime
Click her to pin this recipe for later!
I love cooking with chicken – it’s so incredibly versatile and carries flavor so well! We’ve got tons of chicken recipes on the site for you to check out, some of my favorites are:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Chicken and Noodles:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (about 3 large chicken breasts)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup butter (sliced)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces large egg noodles (uncooked, 1/2 pound)
- Fresh diced parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the butter and swirl to melt it. Once the butter has melted, saute the garlic until it’s aromatic (about 1 - 2 minutes).
- Sprinkle the flour on top of the melted butter, and stir until it’s fully combined.
- Slowly pour the milk and chicken broth into the pan, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Once smooth, add the spices, stir, and bring to a gentle boil. Whisk constantly until the sauce has thickened (about 2 - 3 minutes). Remove the pan from the heat.
Chicken and Noodles:
- Butterfly the chicken breasts to create even fillets.
- Lightly grease a 6 quart Crockpot, and place the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Salt and pepper the chicken, then pour the sauce mixture over top. Add the sliced butter on top of the sauce, then pour in the chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 - 3 hours or on LOW for 4 - 6 hours (or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165 F on an instant read thermometer). Be sure to check the internal temperature of the chicken after the lower amount of time.
- Remove the chicken from the Crockpot to a large mixing bowl, then shred using two forks. Add the shredded chicken and egg noodles to the Crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH until noodles are desired doneness (about another 30 - 40 minutes).
- Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 476Total Fat: 21.8gCarbohydrates: 34.4gFiber: 1.5gSugar: 3.6gProtein: 34.2g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.
Crockpot Chicken and Noodles is such a comforting chicken dish! The creamy chicken tastes so similar to one of my favorite homemade comfort foods, chicken and dumplings. Try serving this egg noodle casserole with biscuits or mashed potatoes.